Baška Voda’s Great Pier was built in 1912 as dock for steamships. Back in the day, Baška Voda was the most important port for trade between the nearby islands of Brač and Hvar and the Imotski region in the hinterland of the Biokovo mountain. Until the construction of the Adriatic Highway, the pier was of crucial importance, because it was a regular stop of shipping lines connecting Baška Voda – through Split, Makarska and Ploče – with the world. After the construction of a breakwater with the lighthouse, the beacon at the pier ceased to operate. Today, as a reminder of the maritime tradition of Baška Voda, there is a mosaic with anchor in the floor of the pier and a large metal anchor not far from it.