Baska Voda municipality
The borough of Baška Voda is made up of another five beautiful locations; three of them at the seaside while the other two are on the Biokovo mountain slopes. The Biokovo Natural Park partially makes up the area of the borough of Baška Voda.
In the past mostly fishing, and today a little tourist place, Promajna is placed at the foot of Biokovo, 4 km south from Baška Voda. Its name owes to the source of life – the Sun because promaljanje means Sun showing its head and it is mentioned for the first time in 1674. But the great number of archeological findings (ceramics, amphoras, coins, tegulas etc) speak about the existence of life on its area from the II century BC. The grave findings of the gold jewelery (a pearl necklace, bracelets and a ring) are one of the most important discoveries of the late antiquity in the Makarska coastline and the terminational cipus with chiselled-in cross (VI – VII ct) is one of the oldest symbols of Christianity found in this area.
The long white pebble beach sheltered by pine trees and equipped with all the necessary contents, the crystal-clear and warm sea, the clean air and preserved environment are the main features of Promajna. The beginnings of the tourism are linked to the construction of the nearby Dječje Selo, a health resort for curing the respiratory system diseases. During the last decades a multitude of private houses were built which offer quality rooms and apartments, and the place disposes with high-quality hotel accommodation. This nicely decorated place has all the basic contents that tourist may require (post-office, grocery stores, tourist agencies, exchange offices), and the local restaurants offer gastronomical specialties of the Dalmatian and international cuisine. The church tower and the wast All Saints' church (built in 1999) dominate the center of the place. With the beginning of the new millennium Promajna receives several recognitions as one of the most decorated tourist little places on the Croatian Adriatic (the Blue flower).
A small, meek tourist place, placed at the foot of the Biokovo, 5 km south of Baška Voda. Bratuš has been inhabited from the XVII century and it is first mentioned in 1674, but the prehistorical site with a ruin of an Illyric castle and archeological findings testify about life on this area from more than two thousand years ago. The attention of the visitors of Bratuš is drawn by the examples of the preserved Dalmatian architecture and among the significant are the Kačić court, a complex of housing and economy buildings in the center of the place. The fishing tradition of the place is replaced by the tourism. There are mostly rooms and apartments in the private houses that are offered to tourists along with the grocery store, restaurants and the white pebble beach.
Krvavica is placed 6 km south of Baška Voda and in a unique way it connects the mountain Biokovo and the sea. The place is being inhabited in XVIII century, and the name is first mentioned in 1792. However, archeological sites (Gradina, Lazine Zakuće) and the archeological findings (coins, a lid of the sarcophagus etc) speak about the life on the area from the ancient times. On the Manastirine locality above the place, a standing tomb-stone with a chiseled-in relief of three women and a man with a sword was found. The beginnings of tourism in Krvavica date from 1960 when at the seabank a homonymous tourist complex is built with the main facility of a round shape. Today Krvavica offers modern apartments and rooms in private houses, grocery stores and restaurants, and with the beginning of the new millennium the place gets a little harbor. Besides the white pebble beach, the place is decorated by a peculiar sight of Krvavica – Ključ kuk (Key hip) – a high rock above the place.
On the mere sloping ground of the Biokovo, on the 150 m height above sea level, 2 km east of Baška Voda, Bast is placed. The name Bast, probably drawing its roots from the ancient times (Biston), was written for the first time in 1434. Besides the examples of the wonderfully preserved Dalmatian architecture (buildings paved with rock plates with stone chimneys and salt-pans) a place is also decorated by St Roko's church (XV ct) in gothic style and a late-baroque Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1636) which in the end of the XIX century receives new marble alters (J. Barišković). Around the church there is an old graveyard where there are the four most interesting tomb stones with chiselled-in shields, swords and a half-moon (XVI – XV ct). On the north from the village there is an archeological site, St Elias' chapel (1895) and St Nicolas' chapel (1926) and by the source Smokvina on the archeological site Grebišće there is a standing tomb-stone decorated with ornaments (XIII/XV). Bast was the center of the parish until 1885 when the parish priest's office moved to Baška Voda. Along with the agricultural work, the place also earned a living from the stone-pit, but in the end of the XX century it turns to tourism, and so it offers rooms and apartments in private homes and gastronomical pleasures in the Dalmatian wine-cellar.
3 km northeast from Baška Voda by road. The village is situated on the slopes of Mt. Biokovo. Inhabited since 17th century. Inhabitants. 7. Tourist capacities: 20 beds in private accommodation. Fresh spring water. Well preserved Dalmatian architecture. Monument dedicated to the alpinist Maximilian Mandle on the mountain near the village. Restaurant - taverna. The village is overlooking the sea and the islands.