Promajna

Promajna

In the past mostly fishing, and today a little tourist place, Promajna is placed at the foot of Biokovo, 4 km south from Baška Voda. Its name owes to the source of life – the Sun because promaljanje means Sun showing its head and it is mentioned for the first time in 1674. But the great number of archeological findings (ceramics, amphoras, coins, tegulas etc) speak about the existence of life on its area from the II century BC. The grave findings of the gold jewelery (a pearl necklace, bracelets and a ring) are one of the most important discoveries of the late antiquity in the Makarska coastline and the terminational cipus with chiselled-in cross (VI – VII ct) is one of the oldest symbols of Christianity found in this area.
The long white pebble beach sheltered by pine trees and equipped with all the necessary contents, the crystal-clear and warm sea, the clean air and preserved environment are the main features of Promajna. The beginnings of the tourism are linked to the construction of the nearby Dječje Selo, a health resort for curing the respiratory system diseases. During the last decades a multitude of private houses were built which offer quality rooms and apartments, and the place disposes with high-quality hotel accommodation. This nicely decorated place has all the basic contents that tourist may require (post-office, grocery stores, tourist agencies, exchange offices), and the local restaurants offer gastronomical specialties of the Dalmatian and international cuisine. The church tower and the wast All Saints' church (built in 1999) dominate the center of the place. With the beginning of the new millennium Promajna receives several recognitions as one of the most decorated tourist little places on the Croatian Adriatic (the Blue flower).